Every rented vehicle can be supplied with a cell phone. We hope that this complimentary service will offer you greater peace of mind, knowing that you can communicate with one of our representatives at the touch of a button. Please request a phone at the time of reservation.
If you would like to use the supplied smartphone for personal calls or internet surfing, take advantage of our unlimited data plan for an additional $5.00 per day or $25 per week (see below).
As a reminder, please dial the following for outbound calls: 24409882#9 + country code + phone number
- Unlimited outbound calls throughout Costa Rica (make hotel reservations, change airline tickets, stay in touch with relatives, etc.)
- Unlimited inbound international and domestic calls. This is your own phone number in Costa Rica; provide this phone number to anyone in the world to contact you. We can issue your cell phone number before the start of your rental, so that you can advise your friends and relatives of your number while traveling in Costa Rica. Telephone numbers can be issued within 72 hours of scheduled arrival.
To call internationally, you may purchase pre-paid phone cards at most convenience stores. These phone cards may be used in conjunction with the supplied cell phone, allowing you to better control international phone call costs. Return To Contents
You are responsible for the supplied cell phone; including any and all data/apps on the device. If you do not return the phone at the end of the rental, or if it’s deemed unusable; i.e. ‘bricked’, you will be billed for the replacement/service of the phone as indicated on the rental agreement. Return To Contents
Cell phone service in Costa Rica is supplied by the governmentally owned and controlled monopoly, the Costa Rica Electric and Telecommunications company (ICE), but there are also private companies that offer service, such as Claro CR and Movistar.
Most of Costa Rica’s main population centers has cell service. However, out-of-the-way, mountainous, rainforest, and distant areas may not have service or reception may be poor.
For more details on cell phone coverage areas, please visit www.GrupoICE.com. This is the official website of the telecommunications company ICE — and it’s in Spanish.
At Vamos, we try to offer free options whenever possible to add value to our clients’ vacations by saving them a few extra dollars here and there. The use of our cell phone is one of convenience (mainly for us as much as for the clients), but someone may want to opt to use their own phone while in Costa Rica. While it’s technically feasible, it may not be supported on your particular plan.
Can I use my cell phone in Costa Rica?
The short answer is "Yes", but the reality is more of a definite "Maybe".
At present, several phone companies from the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, plus many other countries across the globe have roaming contracts with Costa Rica’s Electric and Telecommunications company (ICE).
To check whether your cell phone provider has an agreement with Claro CR, ICE, or Movistar, please review the following website.
- First, click on the "Roaming Partners" link under the appropriate listing.
- Select your home country from the drop-down box to see all of the partnered cell phone companies.
- Check the bandwidth and megahertz (Mhz) value of your phone to find a match.
- If so, it should also work in Costa Rica — however this doesn’t mean it’s free.
- Ask your local provider for further details, such as conditions and rates — as these may costs between $1.50 to $3.20 per minute of airtime.
Please Note: The information provided on the reference website may change on a daily basis. Vamos takes no responsibility to the correctness of the supplied information. Return To Contents