Road Closures and Traffic Delays
Use your vacation time wisely and don’t get stuck in traffic.
Watch our updates on this page and we’ll keep you in the know and on the move! Besides, wouldn’t you rather be beachside watching the waves, than viewing someone’s bumper? ;-)
Latest Road News
- San Jose has been seeing some heavy rain in the afternoons. If possible avoid driving through the city as flooding has occurred in some parts of the country’s capital.
- Roadworks continue to slow traffic along the Pan-American Highway approaching Liberia and in the city itself. Do allow extra journey time, especially if you are airport-bound!
- South Pan-American at km 32: Traffic is regulated following road damage from Chicarronera Chiquiza to Perez Zeledon. Allow for extra journey time.
- Route 4 (Cruce Rio Frio-Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui (not Limon): Numerous points on the road where landslides have caused partial land closures. Proceed with caution.
- Route 39 the San José ring road Nocturnal roadworks mean that the Paso Ancho roundabout section will be closed between 10:00 pm and 5:00 am.
- Route 702 (La Fortuna): Visitors to Arenal should be aware of this road closure. Alternate route: take Route 702 until the intersection at San Gerado de la Tigra and then take Route 748 until Jabillos. Join Route 141 and head to La Fortuna.
- Route 708 (Sarachi/Rio Cuarto): Closed as a preventative measure.
Green Season update
Rainfall is usually restricted to afternoon showers through green season. for the best travel conditions, plan to begin long drives early so that the final destinations is reached before the rains start.
Should you get caught driving in heavy rainfall, pull over and wait for the visibility to improve before continuing your journey.
Rain time is great siesta time, so kick back in your hammock and enjoy!
Our GPS systems are regularly updated, but will not always show roadworks or even closures. Be prepared for a little flexibility if the weather or traffic accident changes your route suddenly. Should you need assistance, remember that a Vamos representative is only a phone call away to guide you to your next destination.