Road Closures and Traffic Delays in Costa Rica
Use your vacation time wisely and don’t get stuck in traffic.
Watch our updates on this page and we’ll keep you in the know and on the move! Besides, wouldn’t you rather be beachside watching the waves, than viewing someone’s bumper? 😉
- Monday, July 25this a national holiday so traffic will be heavy as city-dwellers return to the Central Valley after a long weekend. Ruta 27 (Autopista del Sol will be operating lane reversal on Monday with all traffic moving from the Central Pacific Coast towards San Jose from 1:00pm until 8:00pm between Orotina and Ciudad Colon to accommodate the extra volume of cars. Those wishing to head in the opposite direction should take the old road via Atenas.
- San Jose has been seeing some heavy rain in the afternoons. If possible, avoid driving through the city as flooding has occurred in some parts of the country’s capital.
- Roadworks continue to slow traffic along the Pan-American Highway approaching Liberia and in the city itself. Do allow extra journey time, especially if you are airport-bound!
- South Pan-American at km 32: Traffic is regulated following road damage from Chicarronera Chiquiza to Perez Zeledon. Allow for extra journey time.
- Route 32 (San Jose/Limon): Landslides have closed the road several times recently. Check its status before beginning your journey.
- Route 126 (Heredia/Sarapiqui): Nocturnal roadworks mean that the Heredia-Carrizal section will be closed between 10:00 pm and 5:00 am until June 30th.
- Route 708 (Sarachi/Rio Cuarto): Closed as a preventative measure.
Rainfall is usually restricted to afternoon showers through green season. For the best travel conditions, plan to start long drives early so that the final destination is reached before the rains begin.
Should you get caught driving in heavy rainfall, pull over and wait for the visibility to improve before continuing your journey.
Rain time is great siesta time, so kick back in your hammock and enjoy! Return To Contents
Our GPS systems are regularly updated, but will not always show roadworks or even closures. Be prepared for a little flexibility if the weather or traffic accident changes your route suddenly.
Alternatively, our new WazePhone can deliver road status updates in real-time when connected to the internet. Simply ask us how you too can reserve an affordable navigational tool for your upcoming trip.